Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Sweet Smell Of Hiatus

Finally dragged my carcass back from a visit to a charming, centrally-located liberal arts college in the Northeastern bit of the country. The people were very nice, the job seems reasonable, but I'm sort of hoping they don't offer it to me. I really don't want to go through the soul-searching that would be necessary before I could turn down the job, and yet I'm pretty sure I'd end up doing just that. You see, those of you unversed in the ways of liberal arts colleges may surmise that the phrase "centrally located" means "middle of nowhere". The rest of you will be certain of it.

Now, this raises some problems. My current lifestyle suits me quite well: stumble downstairs for coffee, stumble across the street for a bagel, fill the remainder of the day with other miscellaneous stumbling, in due course stumble to the bar, then stumble (or roll) back across the street to my apartment. Now, how on earth would this work if any of these constituent stumblings took place across a distance of twenty miles or more? I'd have to possess stumbling abilities bordering on the superhuman.

Also, I've never seen so many Mennonites in my life. I have other thoughts on the Mennonite question, but they will have to wait for another post. Which, to judge by my average rate of output, you can expect in six months or so.